Tuesday 4 July 2017

Branded Dramaturgy: Sophie Willans @ Edfringe 2017

SOPHIE WILLAN’S NEW STAND UP SHOW ‘BRANDED’ WILL BE AT THE PLEASANCE COURTYARD BUNKER 2 FOR THE MONTH OF AUGUST FOR TICKET GO TO WWW.EDFRINGE.COM


What was the inspiration for this
performance?

I’ve had a lifetime of being branded by others. Branded by my working class background, my gender even my 'Northerness'. I challenge all of these labels and explain how simplistic branding of identity doesn’t work.

I look at the social context of my background and explore working class identity through my own personal experience.

Why did you write this show?

I wanted to write a show that was in direct response to what I have experienced this year – both personally and politically.

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 

All my shows explore wider social narratives through  my own experiences, so yes.

How did you become interested in making performance?

I went to Ibiza with my gran when I was 9. She went clubbing and I joined the hotel drama club - I got cast as the crying clown and got a standing ovation. Been showing off on stage ever since.

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?

I have worked as a Theatre Maker with Arts Council England support for many years, so it’s important to me that I use my practice as a Theatre Maker to make stand-up hours. There has to be a well thought out structure, vivid imagery and recurring themes that develop over the hour.
Does the show fit with your usual productions?

Yeah. 




No comments :

Post a Comment