Saturday 15 July 2017

The Imaginary Radio Dramaturgy: Drennon Davis @ Edfringe 2017


Drennon Davis performs The Imaginary Radio Programme at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe at Just The Tonic, The Cask Room from 3rd -27th Aug at 5pm. More info and tickets are available at www.drennondavis.org

What was the inspiration for this performance? 

Well, I’ve always enjoyed making fun American
political and pop culture. I love writing dumb pop songs and playing even dumber characters based on people I hear on the radio and TV. It’s been easier to do now than ever before. 

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 

Absolutely. I think people want it more than ever. With so many thoughts being conveyed every second on social media, I think it can be a bit overwhelming. Performances and theater is still a viable way of expressing larger ideas that will resonate longer than something posted on twitter that will immediately be covered up by the next 140 character post. 

How did you become interested in making performance? 

The same way most people do. Look at me! I want attention! More attention! SO I got into music and sketch comedy at a pretty early age. I would do plays and short films but realized that they usually were terrible. They made me realize that I wanted to write my own stuff. From there I went into stand-up and have been with it ever since. 

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show? 

Anything so stupid that it makes me laugh and makes me say “this has to be a sketch” or “this would be a great song”. It’s kind of a best of the best show, with a focus on dumb Americans. Does the show fit with your usual productions? Oh yes, this is very me, along with everyone else in the show. We all share a certain love for absurdity based on reality. 

What do you hope that the audience will experience? 

A heightened sense of the ridiculous based on what we’re force-fed by modern-day propaganda

No comments :

Post a Comment