Saturday 15 July 2017

Caleidodramaturgy: Peter Hudler @ Edfringe 2017


Caleidocello
Venue: C too, St Columba's by the Castle, Johnston Terrace, EH1 2PW, venue 4, Edinburgh Festival Fringe
Dates: 3-28 Aug (not 14)
Time: 18:00 (0h50)


Prepare to hear the cello in a completely new way. A colourful mix of styles, genres and characters, from Viennese cellist Peter Hudler.

What was the inspiration for this performance?

I wanted to try something new on the Cello, explore different harmonies and rhythms and take the Cello out of the relatively rigid environment of the classical concert hall. 

So I started putting together this program, connecting pieces from different genres and styles, making one lead to the other and thus creating some kind of musical poetic journey through different sound worlds. 

The fact that I really tried to push the contrasts is expressed also in the title, it means something like a kaleidoscope of Cello music, something very colorful with a lot of differences. 



Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 

I think more than ever probably. Of course my performance is purely musical, but never underestimate the power of music just because it is nonverbal. 

I guess we are living in a time when we realize that the Internet that has changed our way of communicating so much has its downsides. Just because it’s not direct. And you cannot feel all the nonverbal aspects of a statement. Anywhere where people come together and experience something of relevance together is important more than ever. 

How did you become interested in making performance?

I grew up playing the Cello and I happen to still be doing it. 

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?

I wanted to use non classical music because it’s less complex and less loaded with rules to be able to channel a more archaic energy and get to touch my audience in a more direct way. And also for myself I was hoping to broaden my instrumental skills. There were a lot of little techniques I had to learn, plucking, drumming, even singing. So it did push my own limits for sure. 


Does the show fit with your usual productions?

Usually I play in groups, this is at the moment my only solo show and therefor it has the most personal message and it’s the project of my heart so to say. But I apply the same standards as I always try to do when it comes to quality, preparation etc. 


What do you hope that the audience will experience?

I hope it will be a refreshing but also poetic experience. A little bit like waking up inside and seeing the world with a little more color than before. I hope to move my audience and send it on a little journey that ends with a subtle smile. 



Ticket prices: £7.50-£9.50 / concessions £5.50-£7.50 / under 18s £3.50-£5.50
Fringe box office: 0131 226 0000 / www.edfringe.com

Performing cello in a completely new and different way, pushing the limits of the instrument and the player. From the world's oldest song to the most sophisticated jazz-gem, from bluegrass to baroque and rock, set off on an unforgettable journey. An intensely emotive instrument, the cello is given new life by a truly inspired performer. 

This program is an ode to the seemingly useless, a homage to all those people who risk creating something beautiful without immediate payoff or fame and against criticism and rejection of all sorts. 

Caleidocello features an eclectic mix of interconnected pieces by Bach, Kapustin, Glass, Henryson, O’Connor, Sollima and others. Styles vary from Baroque to Rock, Folk, Bluegrass and Jazz, and as a special feature, the world’s oldest piece of music ever written! Beyond that, Peter also sings at times, using the Cello as a percussion instrument and applying various plucking techniques. Altogether an appealing kaleidoscope of sounds.

Peter Hudler is a graduate of Mozarteum Salzburg, where he completed his master of music in 2008 and his postgraduate studies in 2009. Further studies include work with Antonio Meneses, Enrico Dindo and Thomas Riebl among others. Originally from Vienna, Peter has primarily dedicated himself to chamber music and has been  performing as a cellist and solo-cellist in chamber ensembles across Northern Europe, in Norway, Ireland and, most recently, Denmark. His orchestral experience is similarly eclectic and includes for instance performing with the Camerata Salzburg, Mozarteum Orchester Salzburg, Tonkünstler Niederösterreich, Le Concert Olympique and at the Vienna State Opera.

No comments :

Post a Comment