Wednesday 27 July 2016

Dramaturgy, Suspensions, Detentions and Summer Vacations: Orlando Baxter @ Edfringe 2016


Pleasance Courtyard (Venue 33)
Aug 3-14, 16-29 7.00pm

Orlando Baxter: Suspensions, Detentions and Summer Vacations - Dramaturgy Database
Credit: Oscar Obregon Jr


Orlando Baxter is America's coolest teacher. In Suspensions, Detentions and Summer Vacations, he candidly delivers his provocative, laid-back brand of comedy in an uproarious debut show centred around his chaotic experiences teaching in American classrooms. Finalist in the New York Comedy Contest and the Boston Comedy Festival in 2010 and finalist at the Montreux Comedy Festival in 2014.


What was the inspiration for this performance?
My life and experiences as a high school teacher.
Orlando Baxter: Suspensions, Detentions and Summer Vacations - Dramaturgy Database
Credit: Oscar Obregon Jr
How did you go about gathering the team for it?
I put a lot of trust into Mick Perrin and his team so luckily I don't have to think too much about it.
How did you become interested in making performance?
I saw comics last year at the Fringe doing their first hour show and I was inspired to write my own.
Was your process typical of the way that you make a performance?
Yes, I approach this the same way I approach writing stand up comedy material. I spent a lot of time working out the show on stage in front of an audience.
What do you hope that the audience will experience?
I hope they laugh and enjoy the performance, and walk away with a glimpse of what my life was like as a teacher from the US.
What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?
I had no strategy, i just figured if I'm honest and funny, people will get the message.
Do you see your work within any particular tradition?
No.

Orlando Baxter: Suspensions, Detentions and Summer Vacations - Dramaturgy Database
Credit: Oscar Obregon Jr

No comments :

Post a Comment