Tuesday 12 July 2016

A Billion Days of Dramaturgy: Taylor Glenn @ Edfringe 2016






Just the Tonic at The Caves (Venue 88) ​
Aug 4-14, 16-28 21:20
 

Honest, unflinching and delightfully dark: the award-winning American comedian tackles everything from prenatal pandas to postnatal depression in a tale about surviving the never-ending. Parent or not, this show is for you.


What was the inspiration for this performance?

My experience of post-natal depression and general experience of parenthood was the catalyst.  It started as a hashtag on twitter #ABillionDaysofParenthood which was just a way for me to vent how I was feeling, and before I knew it the whole thing evolved into a one-hour stand up show.  


How did you go about gathering the team for it?

As it’s stand up, the team is just me really- but a lot of fellow comedians, family, and friends have supported me along the way and encouraged me to do it for sure. 
 
How did you become interested in making performance?

I’ve been drawn to the stage since I was a kid and I did local plays and musicals.  

I started doing improv and sketch comedy in New York City and then finally took the plunge and did stand up for the first time in the UK after I’d moved over here.  Also, I used to be a psychotherapist so I’ve always been drawn to understanding how the human mind works (or doesn’t. . .).
 
Was your process typical of the way that you make a performance?

This show has been very different than my comedy before.  I took a break from stand up after my daughter was born, and when I started putting the pieces together for A Billion Days of Parenthood I was using very personal, sometimes raw material which was much more vulnerable than things I’d used before.  I think that’s led to a stronger response, but also means it isn’t your typical club set.  
 
What do you hope that the audience will experience?

Above all, finding it funny - but also thought provoking.  It’s not a therapy session for me (although i’ve gotten a lot out of doing it) and it should, and has, appealed to a wide range of people.  I want them to laugh at things which maybe aren’t always joked about.


What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?

Being honest, and telling my story through the routine.
 
Do you see your work within any particular tradition? 

Lots of comedians have paved the way for me for sure - when I saw Tig Notaro’s documentary about dealing with her breast cancer on stage that definitely had an impact on me, and made me feel brave enough to get up and talk about post natal depression - and to discover that you really can make anything funny.  


No comments :

Post a Comment