Friday 22 July 2016

Foreign Policy Dramaturgy: Ed Aczel @ Edfringe 2016

Heroes @ The Hive (Venue 313) ​
 Aug 4-15, 17-28 4.20pm

Ever thought your relationship with your next-door neighbour is in fact foreign policy? No. Well that's lesson one... If we all practised good manners, what a lovely world we would live in. See how this relates to the current global maelstrom, whatever that is. No Aczel show would be complete without a prediction of the forthcoming apocalypse; this one’s no different. Come along – it'll probably be fine – remember just think peace for a bit guys... yeah?



What was the inspiration for this performance?
My show is about foreign policy - I am a shambolic comedian who likes to tackle subjects which are beyond me

I wrote a pilot for Radio 4 (which was sadly unsuccessful) and felt I would like to use some of the ideas - for a stage show


Politics and Foreign policy are very big subjects at the moment - and if intelligent people can tackle them why can't a fool?


How did you go about gathering the team for it?
 I worked initially with James Kettle a writer with many credits at Radio 4 - and have adapted our thoughts for the stage show.


How did you become interested in making performance?
I love clowning around on stage - making people laugh is a real pleasure for me. Also I love the idea of stand up where you entertain people with your own personality and self generated material (in my mind it is the art of make something out of nothing).
  
Was your process typical of the way that you make a performance?
Typical in the sense that you agonise about how to come up with something which will fly on stage - time will tell whether that happens

What do you hope that the audience will experience?
I hope they will have fun - I wish I could illicit other emotions from an audience but my skill set is simple - and I suppose my task is simple.

What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?
Make it a mad as possible - take people down as many unexpected cul de sacs as possible and ultimately, it may sound odd, but spend time with them - make them be part of something ie its a two way process.

Do you see your work within any particular tradition? 
Ant comedy has a great tradition from Laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chaplin to Tommy Cooper and Les Dawson - Its great art when done well - If anything I am at least paying homage to them continuing the tradition in a minor, unsuccessful way.

No comments :

Post a Comment