Sunday 4 June 2017

Comfort Dramaturgy: Francesco De Carlo @ Edfringe 2017


Francesco De Carlo: Comfort Zone


(The Wee Coo)

21:20 (22:20)

2-28 August (Not 14)

0844 545 8252



What was the inspiration for this performance?
Travelling. When you travel you understand who you really are, because you face new challenges and new questions and you are forced to change your ideas, which is the only way to grow up. The word "crisis" comes from Ancient Greece, and it doesn't mean only a problem, but also its solution, a deep change, the big choices required for a big step. I think that one good subtitle for my show could have been: "How I learned to stop worrying and love the doubts". But to be sincere I'm still very worried by my doubts.

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 
We are living in a world full of paradoxes: the most International phenomenon is nationalism, anti-politics politicians are successful in some of the major countries, scientific progress is achieving incredible goals for humanity while humanity is experiencing a new era of anti-intellectualism, never in our history have we had so much social injustice and inequality but the left-wing parties are losing everywhere. 

I think that comedians have special glasses for paradoxes. I don't think that they can save the world, but they can totally contribute to the public discussion.

How did you become interested in making performance?
It's your fault, guys. I have always loved British comedy and the great display of different styles that you have. When I discovered it, it was like going from black and white to a colour TV. 

I always wanted to be part of it; the road is still very, very long, because it takes time to develop a unique voice in an environment with such good comedians. But in the meantime it's fun!

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?
There are several approaches I believe. Honesty is very important; you have to be honest with yourself and to the audience and talk about things that really matter to you. 

Then, I think it's crucial to be open, to be ready to engage with new people and be connected to society and its changes. They say that comedy is talking about things that you know and, since you have to talk about life and its nuances, it's better to experience it without any prejudice.

Does the show fit with your usual productions?
I don't think so. I think it's deeply related to this time in my life. As soon as I decided to come to the UK, the UK voted to leave Europe. This totally changed my plans. And it gave me a special position to understand global topics, like immigration, through my own personal life.


What do you hope that the audience will experience?
I hope they will have fun and that they will want to have a beer with me. For a comedian that's the best achievement.


What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?

I like the Fringe Festival because the audience and the comedians come from all over the world and this mixture is unique. Surely you can focus on the differences between cultures, but I believe that my generation is experiencing the same confusion, even if the political and the cultural condition are pretty different. 

You have to adapt references, to be sure to be understood by the audience, and you have to do it with research, previews, club spots or just meeting new people. But I’m sure that the confusion is the sea in which everybody is trying to survive and as a comedian it’s very, very interesting to explore that confusion.






No comments :

Post a Comment