Thursday 22 June 2017

The Unaccompanied Dramaturgy: Elan Zafir @ Edfringe 2017


A SilverSword Collective present


Starring Elan Zafir

There are 1.2 million children at the airport... he's looking for one.

Following his critically acclaimed appearance in Season 4 of the Netflix hit show House of Cards, American actor and playwright Elan Zafir makes his Fringe debut with The Unaccompanied Minor, a one man autobiographical show - ‘thrilling to watch’

A story about a father, his son and the 1,795 miles
that divide them. The script is a sharp and funny observation on modern parenting, which turns the stereotypical role of absentee father on its head. Zafir uses his mimicking talents to fabulous effect as we meet an array of characters on the journey of his boy’s life.

Venue: The Space @ Surgeons’ Hall (Venue 53) Dates: 4th-10th and 19th-26th August (Not Sunday’s) Time: 16.05
Tickets: £10/9



What was the inspiration for this performance?

Taking my son to the airport is probably the most excruciating thing I do.

One time I was dropping him off... the flight was very overbooked, and there was a long line of people—in this sectioned off area—waiting to board. 

I realized my son and I hadn’t said goodbye to each other. So I kneel down, and he turns to me, and I say "you’re the best thing that has ever happened, you’re the best thing I’ve ever done," and when hugged me, he knocked my chin back so my face went up... and I noticed the entire line of people, waiting to board, were looking at us. 

It wasn’t pity. It wasn't rubber-necking to see an accident on the highway. It seemed they wanted me to know me. They waned to be there for me. And that’s when I started writing the Unaccompanied Minor.


Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 

Hopefully, not during the performance. That would be distracting. I'm up there. I'm  saying things, trying to get the audience going. If other people just randomly got up and started 
MAN: I think what he saying is problematic in todays loose-based equality—
ME: Shut up. Sit down. Shut up. Talk after. 

How did you become interested in making performance?

You hear a lot of people say "Oh, I was five and I saw Hello Dolly and BAM! I knew I was going to be an actor."  Well I'm one of those people. except it was 42nd Street.

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?

The Unaccompanied Minor was fascinating to construct. My life entire life in an hour. The format of the show is  similar to the format of our lives. I see my son four times a year, and on some of those occasions I go four months without seeing him. So every time I meet my son it's similar to meeting a new person—that I have to relearn. It's a strange phenomenon to think you know someone you're so close to, and realize you don't know them at all.

Does the show fit with your usual productions?

I have another show going on at the same time with this one called Super Earth. You'll have to come see that one, too. Then let me know.

What do you hope that the audience will experience?


I talk about life, death, loved one's, heartbreak, science fair projects, first kiss, first contact, father, brothers, getting beat up, getting laid, tattoos, high school, and getting shot at school. 


Inspired by an experience at an airport boarding gate, The Unaccompanied Minor is an honest, witty and poignant snapshot of one family’s dynamic living situation.

Directed by Dody DiSanto - the 2017 Helen Hayes Award Nominee and Cirque du Soleil choreographer. Trained at the esteemed Ecole Jeaque Lecoq, Disanto teaches at the Shakespeare Theatre Company's Academy for Classical Acting at the George Washington University.

Elan Zafir is an award winning (Helen Hayes, Montreal and NY fringe) actor and writer. He lands at his first Fringe with not one, but two theatre productions -The Unaccompanied Minor and apocalyptic satire Super Earth (11th-18th Aug).

Elan said... “From the moment you enter theatre school you hear someone mention the Edinburgh Fringe. This has been a dream of mine for some time.”

No comments :

Post a Comment