Wednesday 13 July 2016

CTRL+ALT+DRAMATURGY: Emma Packer @ Camden Fringe

Emma Packer’s CTRL+ALT+DELETE, a play that examines domestic abuse and its reflection on our society, will be coming to Camden People’s Theatre from 8th August – 16th August as part of the Camden Fringe.



CTRL+ALT+DELETE explores the myth that mothers are all loving and protective of their children which serves to isolate us from the truth and the harsh realities of life. 

Amy Jones from Brixton is an emotionally charged girl with a strong political heart.  

She challenges the injustices of a world where war rips communities apart, equality isn’t universal and your biggest enemies are sometimes the very ones who brought you into the world. 

This highly relevant piece addresses issues including immigration, the financial crisis, 2011 riots, the war on terrorism and the housing crisis.  

What was the inspiration for this performance?

I wanted to explore and draws parallels between control and abuse of power within a domestic setting and in the wider society from the Government, Media and the Police.  



CTRL+ALT+DELETE examines the myth that all mothers are loving and protective of their children which serves to isolate us from the truth and the `harsh realities of life.   The show addresses the subject of female violence.  I feel society has a skewed perception of this subject.  Whether it is female on female or female on male violence, this kind of violence is rarely addressed although we know it goes on.   I have known quite a few people that have suffered mental and/or physical abuse at the hands of a wife, girlfriend or a mother.  I hope that CTRL+ALT+DELETE can help raise awareness around a very important subject matter. 

CTRL+ALT+DELETE intertwines two very different worlds and shows that maybe things aren’t as different as they first appear.

How did you go about gathering the team for it?

The nature of it being a one woman show means it’s a very small team. I have written the play and I will be performing in it as well.  I had previously taken a version of CTRL+ALT+DELETE up to the Edinburgh Festival in 2014 that Katherine Hayes directed.  Katherine kindly agreed to be on board for the re-write of CTRL+ALT+DELETE and I’m very excited to be working with her again.

How did you become interested in making performance?

I have always admired the work of Jimmy McGovern, Lynda La Plante, Alan Bennett, Mike Leigh, Ken Loach and Shane Meadows.  They have been a massive inspiration creatively and personally. 

Was your process typical of the way that you make a performance?

My research has always involved a lot of people watching and listening to different people’s life experiences. 

What do you hope that the audience will experience?

I am hoping the audience are challenged emotionally and leave the theatre deep in thought and/or discussion. 

What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?

When I go to the theatre I like to watch plays that not only make me think but show me a different perspective on a certain subject matter.  I’m not sure I adopted any specific strategy but I hope CTRL+ALT+DELETE gives the audience a different perspective.

Do you see your work within any particular tradition?


I don’t personally.  However if anyone does feel it fits within a particular tradition, I would be interested to hear. 

No comments :

Post a Comment