Tuesday 4 July 2017

Dramaturgy Half Empty: Tom Houghton @ Edfringe 2017


Tom Houghton’s debut stand up show ‘Class Half Empty’ will be at the Gilded Balloon Wee Room for the month of August for tickets go to www.edfringe.com

What was the inspiration for this
performance?
Me. I decided it was time do do this show. It’s my debut. I’m claiming this one.

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 
Of course. Art is how we express ourselves and tat expression leads to empathy from an audience. Empathy is a key tool in understanding one another and something I feel we are lacking in this modern world. 

How did you become interested in making performance?
Ever since I was 7 and performing Cats The Musical on the stairs. It always been what I wanted to do. Its taken different forms over the years, but its what I am.

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?
Just get all the lines out of your head and in front of an audience. Everyone is a genius in their own mind, but it doesn’t mean anything if its just trapped in your brain. The amount of amazing ideas that never get let out. So do it. Try everything. You’ll have some spectacular fails, but its all part of the fun.

Does the show fit with your usual productions?
No. I’ve spent 9 years in an improv comedy group. This is my debut written show. I’ve dropped all improv, music and gimmicks. It’s a
totally new challenge for me and it feels great.

What do you hope that the audience will experience?
Three things. They will get to know me and my journey so far, they we see routine and an angle of life that will hopefully make they think of things differently and most importantly they will laugh.

What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?
You have to cosier all elements of performance. I want an audience to be able to tell that I have spoken honestly, I have worked hard both up till the performance and during, and that I have given them credit. Its important to realise that although audiences do get crowed mentality, they only get there once you’ve put all the individual ways of thinking on the same track. People are intelligent, but they all have different experiences. That’s important to remember when you’re structuring how to put your points/jokes/routines across.




No comments :

Post a Comment