Wednesday 5 November 2014

NEU/NOW

Today I am having a wee moody, mainly because I got up late and read Facebook before doing any work. I am a bit sick of the political self-pitying that seems to be inhabiting my timeline at the moment, and the constant reposting of articles from mainstream media. I don't read the BBC news for a reason... or The Guardian... and I am concerned that posting up an article with a comment is becoming the new thinking. 

Anyway, I was just cheered up by an email from The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (The RuCuS, as the critical thug likes to call it). They have a
festival next week. And it features these performances.


21st Century Clogs 

Sarah Jeffery and FĂ©lipe Ignacio Noriega Amsterdamse Hogeschool voor de Kunsten (AHK), Netherlands 
21st Century Clogs is a music-theatre triptych that uses traditional English clog dance and live wireless electronics to create unique ways of expression to communicate a message. 

12 NOvEmBER 19:30 REID GALLERY, GSA 
13 NOvEmBER 20:00 NEW ATHENAEUM THEATRE, RCS

As it happens, I love clog dance. I never thought it would team up with European experimental theatre. I am very happy that two of my loves are together at last. 

Nothing to be Done 
Chaseplay Theatre Company Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, United Kingdom An absurdist, all-female tragicomedy inspired by Samuel Beckett’s Waiting For Godot
14 NOvEmBER 20:00 NEW ATHENAEUM THEATRE, RCS 
15 NOvEmBER 20:00 NEW ATHENAEUM THEATRE, RCS

An absurdist tragicomedy is not the most inspirational response to Godot, since it is an absurdist tragicomedy. However, I am up for it. The all-female bit is what pulls me in: is this a reading of Beckett that recognises that he is a bit of a man's man?

1 comment :

  1. Hi, nice that you're looking forward to 21st Century Clogs! If I'm honest, I never thought I'd team it up with experimental theatre either, but funny what some years in Amsterdam will do to a person... If you come to the show, do come up and say hi afterwards :) ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete