Wednesday 5 July 2017

Not for Dramaturgy: Eshann Akbar @ Edfringe 2017


Eshaan Akbar’s debut stand up show ‘Not For Prophet’ will be at the Gilded Balloon Turret for the month of August for tickets go to www.edfringe.com


What was the inspiration for this performance?
My complicated upbringing - being a poor kid in a private school, a former banker who was raised by a Labourite dad and Thatcherite mum. Oh and my journey to leaving Islam. Light stuff.

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 
Perhaps the best and safest. Especially for the kinds of things I discuss, I am able to share and express my opinion to interested audiences. That said, I would like performance to be more accessible to the disenfranchised.

How did you become interested in
making performance?
I always performed at school and at home - from Bollywood dance choreography to stand-up comedy. Since my debut in a school play as Ali Hakim, The Persian Peddler, in an adaptation of "Oklahoma!" (when I won best actor), I was destined to perform.

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?
A lot of listening back to previews, rewriting, crying, emotional distress, editing, performing, rewriting, looking at other jobs I can do now that I've been out of real employment for over a year.

Does the show fit with your usual productions?
Well, this is my very first full hour. I guess we'll find out!

What do you hope that the audience will experience?

Laughter primarily. If they go away and think about things in a slightly different way, then that's a bonus.

What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?

Simply: do I find it funny? It's self-indulgent but if I find it funny, I can share that experience with an audience - not all audiences will be on board, and that's fine. But I'll find mine!





No comments :

Post a Comment