Tuesday 11 July 2017

Joy Dramaturgy: Pippa Evans @ Edfringe 2017

Pippa Evans new comedy show ‘Joy Provision!” will be at the Pleasance Courtyard Cabaret Bar for the month of August for tickets go to www.edfringe.com

What was the inspiration for this performance?

It’s my wish to remind audiences that we all occupy the same space, that we have more in common than we think and that laughter is the best medicine. 

And also singing is fun.

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 

YES! It can explore them in ways a lecture or debate can’t. It can allow the exploration of an idea, rather than the exclaiming of a solution. So often we are given answers without showing the working. For me, performance is showing the working. The artist explores but lets the audience make up their own mind.

How did you become interested in making performance?

I was brought up doing shows with my parents in am-dram. I always loved singing and loved funny people. Being able to make people laugh, to forget or explore our troubles for an hour - what a gift. 

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?

I just write and write and write until I have to make a decision about what the content is. I usually leave this to the last minute,
not necessarily out of disorganisation, but because the world is changing so fast, something I wrote 3 months ago can feel completely out of touch by the time it makes it onto the stage. Then I gather a few choice people and work through my show with them, for feedback and ideas of how to make it better. 

I love collaboration, but I start working alone, to ensure I am writing in my voice.

Does the show fit with your usual productions?

Yes. Songs, laughter and audience in-put.

What do you hope that the audience will experience?

I hope that the audience will leave feeling like the world is changing and they are being an active part of that.

What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?

How do I make them feel comfortable to share stories? How do I make it clear that they are part of the show, not a scapegoat? it’s important to me that if an audience member is involved in the show, they feel celebrated, not ridiculed. 

The theory of performer as host - leading the way but ensuring the audience feels a part of the show - is how I sit. I might be the one doing the majority of the talking, but if the audience aren't there, the show does not exist.  




No comments :

Post a Comment