Tuesday 4 July 2017

Bedlam Dramaturgy!

 BEDLAM  THEATRE  2017   PROGRAMME  ANNOUNCEMENT
     
It is with great pleasure that we introduce the acts that make up the 2017 core programme. Even now in our 37th year at the festival, we feel that we have brought something new to this hallowed space. Our acts play to the venue’s strengths.



Over the years Bedlam has become known for bringing refreshing comedy and new writing to the festival and this year is no exception. Our performers represent the most promising new talent of the festival. We believe in their work. We know that you will too. Below is a small preview of our mainstage companies.


Mainstays of the Bedlam stage, BABOLIN, return with their new play, PHOOLS. The story of Phools Mortalsby and the last song ever to be sung.

Exciting new playwright ÁINE RYAN brings us her play UP THE HILL JACKIE. Expect to laugh through your tears in this tale of two Irish sisters. 

 Award-­‐winning comedian SOFIE HAGEN returns to the fringe with her third and funniest show DEAD BABY FROG. PAULA VARJACK brings us SHOW ME THE MONEY. Is it still possible to be an artist in austerity Britain? Varjack sets out to answer this through a blend of interviews and live performance. 

The EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY THEATRE COMPANY bring us SUGAR & SALT. A piece of clever and insightful writing that cuts to the heart of the student experience.




Award-­‐winning Welsh theatre THE OTHER ROOM bring us SEANMHAIR (shen-­‐ a-­‐var); Set in Edinburgh, Hywel John’s story is a brutal tale of fated love and lives gone by.




BRITNEY go on a road trip to America in JOHN. The fearless comedians who tackled brain tumours and left us in stitches in their last show are in search of the typical American man.




Up-­‐and-­‐comers PELICAN bring us their latest offering in THE CAT MAN CURSE. Three ex-­‐Footlights tell the story of a TV actor, a solicitor, and an old Hollywood curse.

The positively regal, PRINCES OF MAIN, come to Bedlam to host NEW YEAR’S EVE. Bombastic characters and lightning-­‐quick punchlines set against the backdrop of an outrageous New Year’s Eve party.

Interview with Nathaniel Brimmer-Beller, Current President of EUTC.

1. How did performing at Bedlam shape your career/style?

Bedlam let me try everything I could think of! It showed me a place where if you have an idea and some drive you can find a glorious team of people and work together to make cool stuff for everyone. What better place than a theatre that encourages new collaborations and creativity each season, hell, each week?

My ‘style’ has become making something new, funny, entertaining, and pointed every time I can. No entertainment is without its implications, but no one likes a droning production do they? Bedlam lets me work with real, fabulous people who are honest and daring, whom I honestly trust to help me sculpt engaging and interesting productions that an audience can enjoy and think about.

I would not have explored my interests as a director or a playwright without the support and talent at Bedlam, and I am grateful every rehearsal for that.


2. Describe your style of acting with one adjective.

Loud.


3. What is it about Bedlam that makes it so gosh darn special?

At risk of repeating myself I’ll keep it brief. It encourages you. You can write a play, direct a play, act in a play, design some kickass tech for a play – or a reading, or an exhibition, or an ‘open rehearsal,’ what have you – and people will come and watch. And support you. Even if it’s not their thing. I love that. That’s pretty darn special isn’t it?


4. If you could summarize Bedlam in one word, what would it be?

Encouraging. Boom.


5. How did you end up working at Bedlam?

It was always in my mind when I was looking at the University that it was the home of one of the UK’s largest and most prolific student theatre companies. I took the tour in my first week in Edinburgh and met some absolutely unforgettable people, and felt so welcome. I fell right into the Bedlam vortex, and was so lucky to get parts and partnerships in my first months.

After I played Jesus Christ in the 2015 Panto my fate was sealed. Running for President was something I had thought about here and there, but I always felt like I could do more on the purely creative side. I realized after a while that it was the personal, societal side that made me feel so happy and welcome in my first experiences in this new city and with this new society, and I want to replicate that for as many newcomers, to the university and to theatre, as I can. So I’m sticking around to preside.


6. When you’re not completely consumed and enthralled by the world of theatre and stand-up, what do you get up to?

Films. I watch an unreasonable amount of films week to week. I’ve got a projector in my room, it’s that deep. I make films and take photographs when I can.

Music, as well. I’ve almost always got something playing, soundtracking my life minute to minute. So if I’ve got a crazy look in my eye walking down the street with headphones in then it’s probably an intense part of a song.

I ride horses and hang out with my cats when I’m back in my hometown of Washington, DC. They say hi.


7. Is there any particular act you’re excited about in this year’s lineup? You can see it here: http://bedlamfringe.co.uk/programme-2/

I’m looking forward to watching what the EUTC has put together! The Improverts, of course; I’m sure I’ll spend more than a few boozy evenings at Bedlam to watch them. I am most excited about original writing in general, and I’m very glad the EUTC is putting on an original play for its Fringe slot. I’ll be seeing Sugar and Salt for sure.


8. Between the coldbrew and the beer, which one will be your beverage of choice for this year’s Fringe?

I’ll probably sample all of them and more.


9. As a veteran Fringe-goer, what are your do’s and don’ts for the 2017 edition of the festival?

Forget sleep. Fringe is much more fun the weirder you feel.

And come see Mack The Knife at Bourbon

No comments :

Post a Comment