Wednesday 23 January 2013

At least my name isn't Peter

I have been distracted from my live blogging at the Stills' gallery by an article about the treatment of TV classicist Mary Beard. AA Gill spent most of his review of her programme, Meet The Romans, banging on about her appearance. This has been followed by what she describes in a Guardian article as "vile playground bullying."

As it happens, back when I was a student of Classics, I was very enthusiastic about Beard's essays. She had a lively, intelligent, even iconoclastic approach. In the world of Classics, at least back in the day, getting to read arguments that weren't staid was a rare treat. I am pleased that one of my favourite academics has got her own show on the shit-pump, and that Question Time is recognising how a classicist can bring a little bit of perspective to political discussion. Given that the other person who bangs on about politics and classics is Boris Johnson, she is a relief.

Of course, I have had to make a facile comment on her use of the word "vile" though. Being a bit sensitive (I know exactly what "vile playground bullying" means through lived experience), I catalogue the uses of my surname in the media. Generally, as in Beard's use, it refers to sexual abuse. The particular insults that Beard has received on Twitter do have that nasty sexual aggressiveness, even beyond their emphasis on her gender. I won't even repeat them here, in case my mother breaks a habit of a lifetime and reads my blog.

The tabloid media reserve "vile" for sex offenders. Google "vile paedophile" and see. Even The Morning Star uses it. And that guy who wore a shell-suit for twenty years before being buried in a gold coffin hasn't helped.

I can try and point to the heritage of the surname, but that doesn't help. The word does mean morally reprehensible. I could try a maneuver that explores the etymology: coming from old French, meaning common, it is a slur aimed at the working classes. But I just don't like to hear it because it is my name and my memories of getting chased round the playing fields come back every time it ends up in a tabloid headline.

However, I am going to give this a go: the abuse directed at Beard is misogynistic and, as she says, bullying. That old fashioned word - sexist - would be direct enough and more precise. A more exact use of language would be gratefully received by me and help clarify what is at stake in the defense of Beard.

She is being given a hard time because she didn't brush her hair. A quick check of Boris Johnson, the other TV classicist, reveals that yes, men do get away with it. People insult Boris, but usually on the grounds that he has said something offensive. Using a vague term like "vile" is all about the impact, not the meaning.

Of course, it's a reminder why I don't watch television: it's all about the surface. The episode of Question Time that led to her abuse featured a conversation about immigration. The issues involved in that have been thrown to the side while commentators challenge themselves to imagine nastier slurs on her appearance.


Funnily enough, when I was at school, I tried to invent a nickname for myself, just like Dave Lee Travis would. It was "horrenti capillo." Thanks to a double crown, my hair would always stick up. I came across this phrase in a story about a ghost.

I got some serious vile bullying after that.







No comments :

Post a Comment