Sunday 4 June 2017

RaconDramaturgy: Danny O'Brien @ Edfringe 2017



Danny O’Brien: RaconTour






22:20 (60 mins)

3– 27 August 

(Not 14)


£6.50 - £10.50 




What was the inspiration for this performance?

After inheriting a broken-down, unreliable, old motorcycle, I decided to take to the road, touring venues and festivals all over Ireland before heading over the water to the Edinburgh Fringe. 

But before I'd even set off, I randomly found a picture of my father at 17 years old, on an almost identical bike. This small coincidence is a bit more poignant as my father has been missing for 20 years-the same amount of time that the motorbike I'm travelling on had remained untouched. 


Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 

Absolutely, it's one of the few places where people can interact, feel, laugh, be happy, be offended in person. Public discussion is dying in a world saturated with internet discussion and keyboard warriors.
How did you become interested in making performance?

I worked behind the bar as a backpacker at The Melbourne International Comedy Festival about 9 years ago and saw some amazing performances. When I got back to Ireland I wrote my first seven minute set, stepped on stage and never looked back!
 
Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?

For me the approach to making this show has been very unique, I drove and am still driving the aforementioned motorbike all over Ireland, writing and refining the show whilst gaining new experiences and meeting people from all walks of life en route. I have done shows from tiny rural bars to the biggest comedy festivals and venues in Ireland and I'm even going to prison in a few weeks (to do a gig by the way) all in the name of this show.
 
Does the show fit with your usual productions?

No absolutely not, this is very different to anything I have done before. 
 
What do you hope that the audience will experience?

The show will be exciting and interesting and a high energy journey for the audience, most of all- the show will be funny! I want the show to make the audience feel happy, sad, a bit awkward at times and to have the shows content resonate with them; make audience members be able to reiterate funny stories from the show but also be poignant. 


What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?

I am an experienced performer of stand up and I am pulling away from the norm, I have made this show relatable but very surprising for the audience and the content is completely unique that hopefully will be an experience for them to remember for a long time.













No comments :

Post a Comment