Friday 17 July 2015

Three for Amanda: Fringe picks.

It's great to hear from you: hope you are looking forward to the Fringe! I am always a big ambiguous about it: it is hard work, and I get to see plenty of exciting theatre, but I worry about the crushed dreams and having to fight through crowds to get anywhere! And you don't know anyone who wants a house guest during August, do you?

Anyway - you asked what I was looking forward to, and my official reply is nothing. I can't play favourites yet! But I can recommend things that you might enjoy. 

I think Baba Brinkman will be right up your street this year. I'm not sure how you feel about hip hop (and this isn't the kind of rap with all the curse words, mind), but I know you like a little bit of Green politics. Brinkman is an intelligent performer, and got famous for mixing rap and science at the previous Fringes. It might be a little like preaching to the choir for you, because you probably know all this stuff already. But I like his smile. 

Not sure how you are feeling about dance these days - nor am I, because I don't get to write it about that often for The List. I did see Inala last night - Ladysmith Black Mambazo and the choreographer from Rambert, together at last, but the Fringe is never a good place for ballet. It lacks the right venues, I think.

But look at this: RIOT has dancers dressed up as superheroes. We
probably don't want to get into my thoughts on this particular cosplay combination, but I am really excited by this. I like my choreography dynamic, and having the cast leap about like The Avengers is sure to mean loads of smack-downs and tough sequences. It's the Fringe, and after fifteen days without sleep, I am going to need something that wakes me up. They have also suggested that they like audience members who shout stuff at them as they perform. 

And the show questions the way in which dominant systems have defined the superhero genre. 

Do you think the stage is a good place to discuss gender politics? Being a critic, I tend to think it is a good place to discuss anything, but I am having my doubts... the thing is, theatre is all about
performance, so all the action on-stage is performative. It just seems to be asking for trouble when a show tries to make statements about Big Issues through a medium that is let's pretend for adults. 

So maybe it is unsurprising I am suggesting The Maids. Genet's play was meant to be done by men pretending to be women, and fiddles about with the expectation of an audience, reminding them that they are not watching real life... but this version is by an all female cast, which puts a layer back on... or removes it...

Martin Crimp did the translation, and he is known for his own rough and tough scripts. The Maids is a great one for a quiet and safe evening of theatre. Honest. 

But let's catch up soon: I have been a bit bogged down lately with this database business, but I am sure the sun will be out by the time it all begins... won't it?

No comments :

Post a Comment