Friday 10 July 2015

The Dramaturgy of Love: Lindsay Brenner @ Edfringe 2015

Lindsay Benner is what you would get if Lucille Ball and Charlie Chaplain had a love child who likes to juggle. After successfully touring Book of Love across the United States, Lindsay is excited to bring her show to Edinburgh Fringe audiences for the first time. Los Angeles critics have said that Lindsay not only makes juggling incredibly endearing, but beautiful. If you get to see Lindsay perform live, you are in for a treat!

The FringeWhat inspired this production: did you begin with an idea or a script or an object?
Lindsay Brenner: I am a juggler, so I started with what I know how to do technically and wrote the show around that. The show is basically all my party tricks strung together with a story line. I thought to myself, what do my friend always request me to do to entertain them at parties? I picked all their favorites and made a show out of them.

Why bring your work to Edinburgh?Hardly anyone outside of the Los Angeles Magic Community knows who I am or what I do. I want to
introduce myself to a broader audience because I think the show I have created is as entertaining as it is unique. I love doing "Book of Love" and the more I can do it for an audience that really loves it, the happier I am. I have always heard that Edinburgh is the place to be seen in live theater. So I thought it was time to connect to the mother ship. My friend called it the Mount Everest of Theater festivals. It has been on my bucket list. 

What can the audience expect to see and feel - or even think - of your production?I believe people who see my show will be refreshed, delighted, and entertained. It is a great palate cleanser, especially if you have been seeing a lot of stand up comedy.


The Dramaturgy Questions

How would you explain the relevance - or otherwise - of dramaturgy within your work?My show is silent. There is only music and physical comedy. The show is all about love which will remain relevant to us till the end of time.

What particular traditions and influences would you acknowledge on your work - have any particular artists, or genres inspired you and do you see yourself within their tradition?Bill Irwin, Avner the Eccentric, Charlie Chaplin and Lucille Ball. 

Do you have a particular process of making that you could describe - where it begins, how you develop it, and whether there is any collaboration in the process?
I come up with the shell of a routine and discover the meaty bits as I do it in front of people. Most of the best writing comes in the moment with the audience interacting with me. I don't usually understand what something is until it lives and breaths in front of people. 

What do you feel the role of the audience is, in terms of making the meaning of your work? They are instrumental. I believe they are my main instrument when I work. Connecting with my audience is the most important part of my show. Their laughter and response tells me what works and what does not work. I know nothing without them. 

Are there any questions that you feel I have missed out that would help me to understand how dramaturgy works for you?
Um... I had to look up dramaturgy to make sure I knew the correct definition... so I think that is it for me! :-)

No comments :

Post a Comment