Friday 13 June 2014

The Dragons look at Freak

Theatre503 and Polly Ingham Productions
present
FREAK
by current Bruntwood Prize winner Anna Jordan
Assembly George Square Studios, Five
31 July - 26 August

Director: Anna Jordan
Designer: Petra Hjörtsberg
Lighting Design: Rachel Bottomley
Cast: Lia Rogers and April Hughes

Press release begins:

They think I am the most beautiful thing in the world. And I don't mind being a thing. I don't want their respect. I want only their animal desire.

Georgie is 30 with dirty secrets. She drinks in her bedroom and hides from the sun. Leah is 15 with teenage dreams. She practices her cum face and Veets. A lot. All-meat, all-sex, all-vulnerable, all-powerful. There's a first time for everything... Isn't there?

This powerful new play follows two parallel journeys of female sexual discovery, uncovering the gradual objectification and sexualisation of one girl and one woman. But FREAK goes a step further. It asks what part they themselves play in that objectification, boldly probing the dark heart of female desire.


Let the Dragons Speak!




Jordan's script clearly intends to challenge the more... shall we say optimistic? ... vision of human sexuality. It is a raw subject, as feminist theatre has become increasingly visible in the last few years and while the press release offers no statements about the play's conclusions, it hints that it is interested in the complicity of its characters. Having represented emerging sexuality in one of my major roles, I am delighted to see the difficult, dark domains of desire are being discussed and deconstructed. 





There was this one time that the Hulk kicked me so hard, I ended up on the moon. That gave me lots of time to practice my cum face. I don't see what the fuss is all about, frankly. Human desire is such a small thing - a necessary part of evolution, but since humans only exist to provide victims for the mighty race of Kakaranathara , I don't really care too much for their sexual foibles. 

I like the title though, and the Bruntwood Prize isn't given to just anyone. I reckon this is worth a punt, if you haven't got to fight off a horde of Hyda agents or been trapped by the Collector. 



Since I am a comic book character, every girlfriend I have ever had has ended up shot or stuffed in a fridge. In the Image Universe, you see, most females are just there to give some sort of backstory to the males. It's not just image that are guilty of this - most comic books do it. So I shall be giving this one a wide berth.  If I enjoy it, some circle of evil will break into their houses, and it will all end in tears. The best thing I can suggest is going along and not showing any signs of engagement, but think about it carefully afterwards. 
Thought-provoking theatre is rare, and this might throw up a few ideas that are less than comfortable.







No comments :

Post a Comment