Monday 7 August 2017

Dramaturgy by XXX: Maria Tea @ Edfringe 2017

Please come to my shows at natural food kafe, 55 clerk street, eh8 9jq, daily at 6.10
From 5th till and including 26th of august.  Venue 415 (free fringe- pbh).


Show 1- title cherries by xxx,   Show  number 237 free fringe(pbh). 


 Cherries by xxx (book available on amazon) (18+) ‘’I wrote this book with my vagina’’ Maria Tea. Spoken word/clown/comedy, includes interactive scenes of a sexual nature – borrows volunteers from the audience and concludes with a photo opportunity and a boob signing; Interview with God, news of the week, and you do get tied up.

Show 2- title: On her last eggs. Show number 1040- same venue same time- when? Wednesday.


An artist/comedian /writer, teaches yoga and pilates to the middle classes and finds herself frustrated living in Hackney with a three year old- that’s not hers ( she kept ” the box”). Maria Tea on her last eggs. When? Wednesday
Special addition 5 th august, and until further notice:  Speed dating. 
Twitter: mariathen (@mariathen)



What was the inspiration for this performance?

A need to share a script that I wrote- that was pretty surreal as well as profoundly relevant to our times. So I felt I had to spread the word- if you like. Last year a clown welcomed us to the fringe welcome day – and in his speech he said how he makes fifteen year plans- so the next day I made a fifteen year plan- and I realized that the second part of my show- means a lot to me. As it is not about me- and I am very happy to disown it/ let it off my hands- as I feel it s important. It s the shared experience that perhaps make me want to perform- and the need to share myself and offer an experience for someone- an opportunity to reflect and change their mind J I am number nine in numerology so it s not all me. And as I m just writing this I feel less/ or more/ embarrassed J

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 

Yes- interaction helps I think. Being playful and using humour for big ideas. Also being able to tolerate looking yourself in the eyes. Yes performance helps all of us. Even if it annoys you. It says a lot about you. It s a way into ur soul- . im referring to both parties- performer and participant/performer.
                                                           
How did you become interested in making performance?

One of my first memories is speakin to my grand dad- at the age of four- and him asking me what I wanna do with my life- and I said I want to be a start tickler. Someone that tickles. So that s as far as im concerned the only time I expressed an ambition – and it took many years to come back to that moment.
I found myself sharing a desk space full of architects- and wanted to find something to do with myself that made sense- I was trying to break into the art world- so I found an opportunity for tate for a feministic performance- so I looked into xxx wars- which was my own concept of feminists wars. The performance was a bit like starwars- where two androgenous creatures would be covered in gaffa tape and play with candy floss- large amount of pink candy floss- like a cloud.



Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?

I want it to be entertaining. I also wish to include one part that I feel is somewhat important for the future of our being.

Does the show fit with your usual productions?
Well yes- it is just a bit more of what I would normally do- and I do feel like a host as well as a performer- so I would say that s the main difference- that I am hosting an experience- it feels a bit like a therapy space- where I don’t want to break the trust.

What do you hope that the audience will experience?

Well I really hope they experience strong emotions. Shits and giggles. A girl last year blushed so much and for such a long time that I really felt that I couldn’t actually contain it- and that if she was older I d have to ask her to leave in case she died. And that was I think my favourite moment of the whole run-It was kinda self rewarding proud moment that I can t help but sharing – which really to me sounds like im showing off but im not better than that J


What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?
Well- I want the people to feel like they r entering a space with no luggage- so I hope I can provide this lightness. I ve taught yoga and pilates so I ve always felt it s kinda more demanding than it appears perhaps to be able to let people relax and make them trust you. And themselves to feel comfortable and free. So I do use what skills I got- tarantino said that his films appear more violent than they are cos with his use of humour people let their guard down and then it hits them- or something like that. I am flexible during the show- and stay in the moment- and enjoy the experience. So we r in it together. I do obviously go out of line- for a normal social interaction- but all an all it has the elements of a british cup of tea. We r there- chilling- happy and alert and radiant and on our best behavior. I use clowning and props- and the moment is my friend. God that was cheesy J


1 comment :