Sunday 6 August 2017

Blue Dramaturgy: Sallyann Fellowes @ Edfringe 2017

Ex-Nurse Ex-Cop Sallyann Fellowes presents her debut stand-up show.
Riotous tales from hospitals, police stations and life in general according to Sallyann. Unique, quirky, downright funny but above all true.

Out of the Blue written and performed by Sallyann Fellowes is an autobiographical stand-up comedy show based on her careers as a nurse, police officer and many other bizarre happenings in her life. Sallyann has always wondered how so many weird things could happen to one person - it’s not her fault honestly!
The seeds for this show were sown after Sallyann retired from the police due to injury and decided to move into performance art instead. According to Sallyann really most things are funny and she uses a gallows humour philosophy to reflect on everything in life. Now venturing into stand-up, this rich vein of material has gone into the writing of a show full of quirky and original observations on life in general and true tales of madness and mayhem that she feels compelled to share with you, after all, it would be rude not to.

Edinburgh Fringe Show Information
Out of the Blue  Edinburgh Festival 2017   
8th - 10th August 13:05  
Fringe Box Office: 0131 226 0000
https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/out-of-the-blue-1
theSpace@Jurys - Studio,
Jurys Inn, Jeffrey St, EH1 1DF  
Box office: 0131 510 2381  

What was the inspiration for this performance?
My inspiration is my 2 previous careers nursing and the police. I called the show Out of the Blue for 2 reasons
Blue light sirens and the idea came to me out of the blue as it were!

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 
I think so, especially stand up comedy. The public soon let you know if they  don't like it! Sometimes a subject can be something current that's going on nationally/internationally ie both my previous jobs are hugely affected nationally (now) by government cutbacks.

There maybe a subject matter that has a personal connection with someone I think its important to be open to that.
Humour can be quite therapeutic, getting something 'out there' using comedy can disarm difficult to discuss topics.

How did you become interested in making performance?

I wanted to be an actor even as a young child. It was something I had to 'park' for a while due to lack of finance. I became a nurse and then later a police officer. When I was retired after an injury on duty I turned to performance. Sometimes things happen for a reason.


Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?
Just honesty all the material comes from personal experience. I've loved writing it and performing it at my fringe preview in London.

Does the show fit with your usual productions?
This is my first show. My other work has been part of other peoples shows/films

What do you hope that the audience will experience?
I hope they will experience laughter and a sense of fun and leave happy. 

What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?
I made sure I kept the structure of it lose to begin with; I wrote and rewrote it many many times.

I changed it a bit after the preview for instance.

I decided to use pictures to illustrate some of the show. I hope that gives it some extra humour and changes the tempo a bit
so it isn't all about my voice!

I think a show is a constant work in progress there's always something that can be improved upon.
It will change a little each time depending on the audience. There the most important ingredient after all.

No comments :

Post a Comment