Monday 29 May 2017

The Ching Dramaturgy: Stewart Schiller @ Weste End Festival 2017

Attune Theatre presents 
The Ching Room
Dram 10th June 2:30 pm & 7:30pm
Broadcast 12th June 8:00pm
Canal Station 13th June 8:00pm

Rory rushes into a toilet cubicle in a Sauchiehall Street nightclub, only to find it occupied by someone called Darren, who is not so much a drug-dealer as a high priest of the religion of cocaine-induced euphoria.

The Ching Room is written by Alan Bissett and directed by Stewart Schiller. It makes use of Attune's distinctive style of confronting serious issues with a darkly comic tone, in this case, looking at Drug Culture. 





What was the inspiration for this performance?
I like plays which grab you and surprise you. I like never really being quite sure where the story's going next. This script delivers in a big way. I also like how it crosses a line. Guys don't like to talk to each other in toilets and that's the entire action of this play. It feels like we're getting to see something you don't normally see.

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 
Very interesting question. I would say theatre is at it's best when it asks for empathy. The proximity you have to the actors makes theatre the best place for empathy. So I feel performance is best at entering public discussions where empathy is not normally present.

How did you become interested in making performance?
I tried it at University and I enjoyed it. Perhaps a more interesting question is why I kept doing it. You have a very intimate relationship with audience in live performance. 

As a Writer Director I can frequently be in the audience, feeling their reaction, and changing the performance based on those experiences.

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?
I am cerebral in my approach. I feel it's important for actors to understand their characters choices and the changes they go through. Whilst I enjoy plays that are ambiguous in they way they 

approach issues, I like Performances which have a clear vision which you can really feel. 

Does the show fit with your usual productions?
I would say this is the most stripped down performance I have made. The more experienced I've become, putting anything other than actors on stage feels frivolous. 

Theatre can't compete with the bang for buck of film and, for me, shouldn't even try to. Actors can create so much with how they say things, and how they respond, why distract people from that?

What do you hope that the audience will experience?
I hope the audience thinks about something they wouldn't usually.

What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?

 We want as many people to come and try this as possible, particularly if they feel Theatre isn't for them. By not asking for money before you see it, I think it redefines the relationship between us and the audience. 

Going to Pubs which aren't filled with Theatre, specifically to find people who don't normally go to Theatre, is something we enjoy doing.

Attune Theatre will be producing this show using the Pay What You Decide model meaning... the audience only pay what they think the show is worth after they've seen it. We chose to do this as it is one of our company's aims to bring more people to the Theatre. There is more information about the Pay What You Decide model at this link

The First two performances at Dram will also be a part of the West End Festival. 

No comments :

Post a Comment