Wednesday 17 May 2017

Bubbles and Dramaturgy: Jamie Walker @ Edfringe 2017


What was the inspiration for this performance?
When I was just 10 years old I became a carer for my grandmother who had severe dementia, it became my duty to entertain her everyday and this usually included performing songs from her generation. By the time I was 16 she didn't know me and it was my job to make her laugh every day regardless of how upset I may have been away from her.

Nearly 15 years later here I am doing what she loved best - presenting songs to a live audience and entertaining.

Most singers we remember from the golden age of swing were in their latter years. The mix of Bubbles and Martini gives me a chance to appear alongside the legend Dean Martin and play the new kid on the block Michael Buble. This idea of mixing one era with another presented many opportunities for comedic dialogue that make this piece full of entertainment.

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 
Most definitely - audience interaction is key. Audiences shape performances; no matter what a performer says everything an audience member does can effect the performance as a whole. Allowing their input can only immerse everyone into the action even more.

How did you become interested in making performance?
My grandmother really - she was a drama queen and party host. Very eccentric but very warm and down to earth.
When she died I had nothing and no friends in the world. She was my world. I could have given up but I decided in her memory to apply for a college course in acting back in 2006. I've never looked back.

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?
I went back and looked at the holiday specials presented by Dean Martin - the format of those and how he interacted with his guests. Those principles are on show in this performance but it's fast paced in order to give the audience the maximum amount of songs we could squeeze in. 

We quite simply want to entertain, we want people to come and have a drink, maybe sing a long. Most importantly leave smiling and thinking that the ticket was well worth the feeling.

Does the show fit with your usual productions?
Although I have performed at the fringe previously, this is the first production I've ever personally staged at the Fringe. Eventually in life it's time to put your money where your mouth is and give it all you've got. And we'd be delighted for as many people as possible to come and just have a good laugh.

No comments :

Post a Comment