Tuesday 3 November 2015

It probably isn't that simple, is it?


So, when I first starting slapping political commentary up on the blog, I thought that it made sense. I worried that, as a theatre critic, I had much to say about the politics of theatre but little about the politics that happen beyond the stage. Besides, politics is a form of theatre, right? It's another constructed performance, it's all aesthetic and your aesthetics are your ethics et c.

Lately, I just feel like another idiot scampering after the latest controversy. Sure, I have plenty to say about Germaine Greer and transphobia and the arrest of Bahar Mustafa (guess what? I support the freedom of speech of both women, even if I don't agree with them). 

With a cheeky internet search, I can find plenty of evidence that Universities have gone kill-crazy on censorship, or twitter triumphalism or discussions about privilege . Like I am sick of explaining the difference between dramaturgy and the dramaturg, I'm sick of stating my consistent position.

I support the right of people to express ideas that I do not accept, or
find offensive. 

This is mainly because I can remember a time when 'offensive ideas' included discussion of equality for LGBTQI people. 

Of course, there are caveats to this freedom of speech flag-waving: certain material is best not shown to children, trigger warnings are a good idea, when someone is offensive, then a reply is important. And yeah, I guess striking at someone's ability to earn money is a good way of encouraging them to consider their words carefully.


I even support women only spaces - if you want a male only space, there are plenty already (or stay in your fucking bedroom. That's what I do). 

But, like a good Marxist, I believe in dialectic - conversation - the possibility that words can change minds and hearts. 

And appealing to a superior power to silence the opposition is a surrender of personal power. It might look as if twitter activists have forced the boycott of that particular speaker, but it is the existing authorities that made the decision. 




No comments :

Post a Comment