Tuesday 14 May 2013

Latitude 2013


For the past four years, being far too old for most music festivals, I have made Latitude my weekend-under-canvas of choice. I explain my presence in the mosh-pit at the front by claiming that I am trying to check out the acts that might turn up at The Fringe, and spend most of my time in the cabaret or theatre tents.

Despite doing a regular radio show, I have considerable anxiety about keeping up with the kids. Then, when I hear what the kids are listening to, I realise that the music that was once my rebellious youth is now classic rock.

Latitude 2013 is shaping up nicely: they have just announced that soul legend Bobby Womack is the special guest (and he was a classic when I was an upstart), and the Balletboyz are throwing down. Nina Conti, a rare act who fits into both the comedy and things-I-like category (her puppetry is darker and sharper than most supposedly radical stand-ups).

And the man who introduced me to cabaret, Mr Des O'Connor, is doing a turn. I notice that he is next to Empress Stah on the bill. Hopefully, they'll remember to put out the "no children" sign for this line-up. I have seen some odd sights on that stage, and I am not sure toddlers called Tarquin are really ready for them.

Robin Ince is doing a literary slot - let's see if he can convince me that he is the cleverest man in the godless universe this time, and there's a whole strand dedicated to neuroscience and sex.


Festivals have come a long way since we threw bottles at Metallica for not being metal enough.....





THURSDAY 18TH JULY – SUNDAY 21ST JULY 2013
HENHAM PARK, SOUTHWOLD, SUFFOLK


No comments :

Post a Comment