Friday 5 August 2016

Wychwood Dramaturgy: Violet Shock @ Edfringe 2016

ly sleep, if only I could keep y nly the I could I I could co visions u ld keep keep
Show: Wychwood Company: Violet Shock Script: Karl Boyd & Yvonne Rushmere Music: Karl Boyd Lyrics: Yvonne Rushmere Director: Karl Boyd Venue: The Space at Niddry Street (V9) Time: 13:00 (60 mins) Dates: 15th - 20th August
keep the the the visions v of isions visions if thant of only of if only tha of only I thant I could nt thant could night I keep night could night the a night t sleep, visions b at a
sleep, y. at at of bay. thant if bay. if only
night bay.

if only if I
I could sleep, if only I could keep the visions of thant night at if bay. only I could if only I could sleep, if only I could keep the visions of thant night at bay.
if
only I cou
ld
keep
the
visions
of if tha if only only nt
only night I sleep, I could could I a could t b if a sleep, y. only sleep, sleep, I if could if only if only only I keep could I I could could the keep visions keep keep the the the of vis

Aug 15-20 @ 13:00 (60 mins) £8.00 (£6.00)
presents
fear is but a state of mind


What was the inspiration for this performance?

A burning desire to see an entire audience gripped with fear and watch them as they jump, squirm and hide behind the seat in front. Like the Victorians and Edwardians before us, we love a good ghost story and it seemed right to combine this love with our love of stage craft and innovative storytelling - and thus Wychwood was born...


Is theatre still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 

Absolutely. Society and culture are intrinsically linked and the theatre provides a forum for society to debate and enter into a dialogue either proactively or passively. There is now, more than ever, a need for this forum.

How did you become interested in making performance?

We have always been fascinated by the 'audience journey’ and we came together though this interest with the sole intent on providing the first steps for our audience and embarking on that journey with them.



Was your process typical of the way that you make a performance?

Yes, very much so - this is the way we love to work: consider the emotions and experiences we want the audience to have and then develop a piece that delivers. Our work is very much audience driven and an immersive experience. The actors don’t even know how some of the illusions in this one are done - it keeps them on their toes too!


What do you hope that the audience will experience?

Sheer, unadulterated terror. Simple as that.


What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?

Carefully considered stagecraft and innovative staging
Keeping the pacing of the piece tight
Allowing moments for the audience to breathe before hitting them with something bigger than the previous tense moment
Ensuring the songs and music are emotive and carefully pitched to match the mood of the piece.

Violet Shock return to The Fringe with Wychwood - their most ambitious show to date. Set in the late Victorian/early Edwardian era in The Wychwood House Asylum, we meet “Professor” Snaith - a tall, gaunt figure who takes delight in exhibiting his patients as some kind of sideshow.
“Wychwood” is a good old theatrical portmanteau piece that sees four classic Victorian/Edwardian ghost stories by F. Marion Crawford, M. E. Braddon and M. R. James performed by the asylum inmates as they tell the story of how they came to be a resident of the institution.

Told through Melodrama, song, illusion and gripping storytelling, Wychwood is 60 minutes of nerve shredding theatre that grabs hold of you from the minute you take your seat and never lets go...not for the faint of heart.

vis
if if only only only I could only I could I keep keep I could could the the visions visions sleep, sleep, of of thant thant night
if
night if if only only I could if only I could sleep,
if only I could keep the visions of thant night
I could sleep,
if keep the visions of thant night
if only I could sleep,
if only I could keep the visions of thant night

No comments :

Post a Comment