Wednesday 6 November 2013

Appeal to my Theatre Pals

So... I am writing a play.

I know I have said a few things about the script in contemporary drama that might suggest that the script is a moribund template for relevant performance - but I usually say that in reviews just before pointing out that the particular play I am discussing is an exception.

I wouldn't being writing a play unless circumstances insisted. And they insist. And so...

Part of the process of this critic writing a play is to offer it to artists. This is a chance for revenge. I am shouting out to the theatre community of Scotland. This is a unique opportunity. Take the chance to criticise the critic.

I am hoping for a little advice on my playwrighting skills, and asking anyone who fancies taking a keek at my script to email me. Or facebook message me. I'm inviting you to be as nasty as you want (you'll see a first draft, so I'll have an excuse for the really bad bits).

At the moment, the script is very offensive: I am thinking of calling it 'Trigger Warning.' It's brutal, contains violence, sexual violence and is never going to get a PG rating. I am more uncomfortable showing it to people because of the content than any perceived weakness in my writing (although I am sure there is plenty of weakness to enjoy, revenge fans).

I'm serious about the content. I feel ill when I read it. Regular readers of the blog will know that I refer to Sarah Kane as a saint. I read Howard Barker for kicks.

I'm serious about wanting a good kicking (not literally), too. It would be nice if you could do it with a friendly smile. I realise I am, potentially, setting up a complicated relationship between critic and artist here.

No comments :

Post a Comment