Monday 18 June 2012

ERRMERRGERRD presents YVE BLAKE in AM I GOOD FRIEND?

There are some shows that seemed destined for Fringe success - as a critic, it is my job to pretend that I have some special skill, divine these, then claim credit for having noticed them first. So, I am delighted to introduce Yve Blake, and eighteen year old from Australia, making her Edinburgh Fringe debut with Am I Good Friend?



Unfortunately, 
FringeReview.co.uk has already called Blake the next big thing: I am already playing catch up.  Since she is an award winning playwright (she won Playwriting Australia’s “Kicking Down The Door” Competition in her final year of high school) and is making a series of online performances, I decided I had better get in touch with her before she is rejecting writers unless they are writing for The Herald. 





What will make your show stand out at the Fringe in 2012?

In a word, PIE CHARTS. That's two. Forget the Pie Charts!
Here's something! I imagine that I'm among the youngest international producers at the Fringe, being only 18. Also, having written/designed/constructed every element of the show myself, AND considering that the show uses real "lifedata" from my real actual life (Such as secretly recorded phone interviews with my parents and friends) Am I Good Friend? is a uniquely personal show. Finally, it includes an impressive array of Arts and Crafts! and did I mention PIE CHARTS!

How would you describe the piece - what sort of theatre is it, and what inspired the content?

Am I Good Friend? takes the form of a live scientific experiment in which I am determined to measure the extent to which I embody the definition of a "Good Friend". I will do absolutely anything in the quest for MAX ACCURACY. It's evidence-based theatre meets performance art meets comedy meets Pie-Chart-Filled-Adventure.

The show is inspired by the fact that we all secretly aspire to be a super hilarious, ultra generous and superbly charismatic version of ourselves. In the show I call myself out on  everything I wish that I was, and everything wish that I wasn't. It's a completely candid and ultimately and heartwarming study of our desire to be like by everyone. 

How long have you been working in theatre, and are there any highlights of your career so far?

I've been working professionally in theatre for 5 years, (or since I was 13, as I'm 18 now) as both a Performer and a Playwright.  
As a Playwright, I was awarded “Best Play” at Sydney’s Fast + Fresh Festival when I was 15, and winning Playwriting Australia’s "Kicking Down The Door" in my  final year of high school. This year I've also had my work commissioned by the Australian Theatre for Young People and published by Currency Press.
I've presented other self-written performance art at the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia and Griffin Theatre Company, and will soon be releasing a series of online performances that respond to hoarded objects and relics I've recently found in my bedroom.  
I'm currently a member of Advisory Panels at both the Sydney Theatre Company and the Sydney Opera House, where I'm mentored by producer Danielle Harvey (Former Exec. Director Sydney Mardi Gras).


Why did you decide to come to the Fringe?

Initially I'll admit, the idea of taking a show the Fringe terrified me! (nightmares of wading through flyers up to my neck on the royal mile kind of thing). Then, while premiering Am I Good Friend? at the Adelaide Fringe, I was approached by Louise Oliver, the participant development coordinator of the Edinburgh Fringe Society. She loved the show and insisted I take it to Edinburgh. A few drinks later I agreed. While there had been a really positive response to the show in Adelaide, (four stars, sell-out houses), her vote was the one that counted. I haven't had a nightmare since and now I can't wait to tour my first ever solo show internationally.






WHEN: 2.35pm August 4-25 (not Tues)
WHERE: Cabaret Voltaire, 36 Blair Street (Venue #338) | HOW MUCH: FREE
TWITTER: @yveblake | FACEBOOK: yveblake | WEB: yveblake.com





No comments :

Post a Comment