Friday 12 January 2018

Ass Dramaturgy: Sophia del Pizzo @ The Vault

What was the inspiration for this performance?

Originally I wanted to write a show about an actor who had anxiety or stage fright. So I started to write about why someone like that would choose to put themselves through writing and performing a one woman show. As I started to dig a little deeper I realised I was exactly that person. 

When I looked into my own experiences of self medicating through drugs or alcohol and spirituality to manage my anxiety,  I realised my own story is maybe one a lot of people could relate to. Out of that came some comedy characters and a weird mashup of a serious subject matter told in the form of a comedy show.

How did you become interested in making performance?

I took part in the Soho Theatre writers lab last year and was around some incredibly talented, uber cool makers and writers. If it wasn’t for the immense talent and support we were immersed in that year, I’m not sure I would’ve been encouraged enough to make it. I’ve always wanted to make this show for years but those oh-so familiar fears stopped me for a long time./

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?

This I would say is my exact mental process 

1. I HAVE NO IDEAS CANCEL ALL THE SHOWS. 

2. I HAVE TOO MANY IDEAS CANCEL ALL THE SHOWS 

3. Drink some tea 

4. Improv it out in my living room 

5. Is this idea mental? 

6. Ask my Dad if it’s mental 

7. He said it is, put it in the show.

Does the show fit with your usual productions?

This is my first! I’ve not done anything like this before but it’s extremely rewarding to have people after the show come up to me and tell me they’re going through exactly the same thing.



What do you hope that the audience will experience?


I think they will relate but what I hope most is that the core advice of the show will be heard, I’m not preaching at all but I do think there are some things in there that have really helped me and I’d just like to pass that on. If not I hope they have will have some fun. We all like fun don’t we?

No comments :

Post a Comment