Thursday 12 September 2013

Giants in the Forest Chapter 6.4


A close  up of the knot (made from grass) that holds together the two sticks at the centre of the sculpture.

''Love seeketh only self to please,
To bind another to its delight,
Joys in another's loss of ease,
And builds a Hell in Heaven's despite.''

William Blake 


After building my tribute to the Giants, I spent longer taking photographs of it than I had making it. So much for my desire to create an impermanent structure - although I do hope it gets knocked over, since it adds little to the general ambience, I have a mania for documentation.

From behind, the fronds of the plants act as a sort of head  - it looks as if the sculpture has already fallen over. Perhaps it is a representation of the exhaustion I felt after getting lost in Forres. Maybe it is lying in supplication to the Giants.

There's something a little bit Blair Witch about it from this angle. I'd rather not stumble across this in the middle of the night. 

''"O life of this our Spring! why fades the lotus of the water?
Why fade these children of the Spring,born but to smile and fall?''

I tried to get a few snaps from different positions to show the scale of the piece, and to impress the detail. It hasn't come out like that. It looks as if a few bits were added to random tree falls. 


No comments :

Post a Comment