Tuesday 8 August 2017

Self Dramaturgy: Sandra Hale @ Edfringe 2017

Sandra Hale: Self Helpless!  (Just the Tonic)
  • Sandra Hale is here to help you! …Provided you have good looks, no opinions, and can tap dance. This 65-year-old Fringe first-timer is a self help guru like no other with a life’s worth of experience (and a couple of children and husbands) under her belt, who else is better to give you advice? And, of course, if you want the guru in a more portable form, she’s just released a book based on this very show.
What was the inspiration for this performance?

My ex husbands gave me the inspiration and the material to write my show and for that I am very grateful to them both!

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 

Its the best way to get your feelings and ideas across and to receive adulation and applause in return. Wonderful!

How did you become interested in making performance?

I have been a professional actor for 50 years and when the work dried up (round about the same time I did) I felt the need to scratch the performing itch so I turned to writing, storytelling, and comedy 

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?

I felt the need to break down the 4th wall which is difficult when you are used to hiding behind characters as an actor. I had to work hard at stripping everything back to the bare bones to enable the audience to see me. An exaggerated version naturally, but still me.

Does the show fit with your usual productions?

I have never done anything like this before. I have performed a one woman play many years ago by Dario Fo which was a fantastic piece of theatre to do but this is something I wrote, so I'm practically begging the audience to like it and me. I'm a bit of a masochist!

What do you hope that the audience will experience?

I sincerely hope that they will come away feeling uplifted and grateful that they don't have my life

What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?

In all honesty I don't think I had any preconceived strategies. I'm a people pleaser, and will do anything to be liked....ANYTHING! And that's what I do in my show.

No comments :

Post a Comment