Monday 21 August 2017

All The Dramaturgy I've Lied About: Kate Bonna @ Tron 2017

All the Things I Lied About (22 & 23 Sept, 7.45pm) is Katie Bonna's fearlessly honest show that unpicks how everyday lies can lead to a world of Trump and Brexit.

Fringe First winner Katie Bonna is giving a TED talk on the science of lying. Well, that’s not quite true. TED haven’t actually asked her to do one – yet. 
In a comic exploration of her past mistakes and inevitable future disasters, Katie unpicks how everyday lies can lead to a world of Trump and Brexit. A fearlessly honest show for the post-truth era.

What was the inspiration for this performance?I wanted to write about my relationship with my estranged father - I ended up writing about Donald Trump and Alan Partridge. I'm pretty sure I've joined the dishonesty dots joining the two.



Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas?Absolutely. I'd be naive to pretend that it isn't limited by who chooses to come to the theatre, but as long as artists are mindful of who they're in conversation with, it will always be a rich space for discussion.



How did you become interested in making performance?I trained as an actor because I loved the craft of it. I started making work because I wasn't getting enough opportunities to practice the craft. Then I discovered a whole new craft - and now I'm in love with it.



Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?I am very strict about changing my process for every show I make. I have just spent a week in Newcastle doing research and development on a new show with no script and no script writing time - just discussion, which I've never done before. The most important part of my process is to keep challenging my process.


Does the show fit with your usual productions?All The Things I Lied About is very different

to my last show, Dirty Great Love Story. It's different in tone and style. Dirty Great Love Story was a romcom in verse and All The Things I Lied About is a personal, political TED talk/confession - pretty different! I think that you have to respond to what the story you are telling needs, rather than trying to recreate anything you've made before.



What do you hope that the audience will experience?I hope that they'll reflect on their own experiences and actions. I hope they'll laugh and have fun (there are water pistols). I hope they won't fall asleep (it's happened twice so far but also, hey, theatres are sometimes very warm....).



What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?Most of the rehearsal work on this show was built around audience experience. The whole show is a reflection of my process in making the show - the bits where I got sad, frustrated, angry and where we had loads of fun dancing to inappropriate 90s tunes. This show relies on the audience, so my aim every time I step on stage is to give them the best night I can.



Dirty Great Love Story, co-written and performed with Richard Marsh, won a Fringe First in 2012, and Katie was also nominated for Best Actress by The Stage.

No comments :

Post a Comment