Saturday 23 July 2016

Dead Pigeons Dramaturgy: Scott Turnbull @ Edfringe 2016


Northern Stage at Summerhall(Venue 26) ​
Aug 6-9, 11-16, 18-23, 25-27 10.05pm

Where Do All the Dead Pigeons Go?Where do all the dead pigeons go? I could give you the answer right now... but it would ruin the show. Between you and me... I’m still not sure. With felt-tip pens, and his ex-girlfriend's overhead projector, Scott Turnbull takes us on a journey through space and time. This frolic of cartoon and comic reason miraculously weaves science fiction, memoir, parable, fairy tale and farce… It's weird, fast and inventive. Pigeons in this show are fictional and bear no relevance to pigeons existing or dead.


What was the inspiration for this performance? 
I've been acting professionally for almost ten years now, I wanted to find some integrity in my craft. I wanted to Talk about something that interests me rather than transmit someone else's message. I also wanted to know quite genuinely ‘Where all the dead Pigeons go?’

How did you go about gathering the team for it?  
I performed a scratch for Lorne Campbell at Northern Stage, and Selma Dimitrejivic at Greyscale. They were very complimentary and suggested I apply for the Edinburgh program. Lorne then put me in touch with Ed Gaughan- a very talented comedian and Director. We get on well. We laugh together and drink beer sometimes. The rest of the team is me! I've made a lot of new discoveries about myself and the possibilities at the ends of these fingertips.


How did you become interested in making performance?
I love acting. I love acting the fool. I sometimes fall out of love with the industry, but there's nothing I’d rather do


Was your process typical of the way that you make a performance? 
I've never went through this process before, so I suppose it is typical..this time. Next time I'll look for more help, support and collaboration. Although I must say- the people listed above have been very supportive, it just gets a bit lonely when you’re the person responsible for the artistic and logistic details of making a show.


What do you hope that the audience will experience? 
I want my audience to be baffled, charmed, hood-winked and heartbroken…in the nicest possible way

What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience? 
I tried to write the piece about the things I love- Football, the town I’m from, and the people who I care for the most. They are all in there somewhere! I also try to make myself laugh as often as possible.


Do you see your work within any particular tradition? 
I read Peter Brooks empty space recently, which was a bit late really, considering I've been involved in theatre for 15 years or more. It was enlightening and confusing and it made me think “Wow, what have I been missing out on!” “What can I do to make something interesting and confusing” “How much can I blur the lines between reality and performance”.

No comments :

Post a Comment