Sunday 4 June 2017

All My Friends Are Dramaturgy: Conor Drum @ Edfringe 2017




Conor Drum:
All My Friends Are Dead
18:00
3-27 August

Laughing Horse at Bar 50
50 Blackfriars St, Edinburgh,
EH1 1NE

What was the inspiration for this performance?
 
The inspiration for ‘All My Friends Are Dead’ was being the best man at my best friend’s wedding. He was the last of my close circle of friends back in Dublin to get married, leaving me on my own. The last bachelor. My friends are married so they are dead to me now, they have moved on. Attending his wedding and others like it, I was forced to confront my current station in life, my decisions and my future.
 
Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 
 
I think performance is a great place for exploring and discussing ideas. It may not be as instantaneous or convenient as the internet but a performance is more of a visceral and personal experience, making it possible for people to confront new ideas and alternative opinions without the ability to simply switch off or click away.
 
How did you become interested in making performance?
 
I became interested in performance via my low self-esteem, need for approval and from years of watching my father working as an auctioneer, it is a performance in itself.
 
Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?
 
When writing for this show or any show, my ideas come from discussing a theme with friends, or anyone who will listen, this sparks ideas that I can further explore, hone and develop on stage.
 
Does the show fit with your usual productions?
 
Absolutely, this show is in keeping with my other shows and performances, generally exploring the theme of growing up in the modern world and figuring out when one becomes an adult. This show in particular is a new version of last year’s show.
 
What do you hope that the audience will experience?
 
I hope the audience enjoys the show and laughs at the comedy, then tells all their friends.
 
What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?
 
I like to keep things as simple as possible. I do engage the audience from time to time, but I prefer to set the tone earlier on that although interruptions are going to occur, they are not exactly encouraged.







No comments :

Post a Comment